5.31.2006

Shoe comfort - Good for the Sole!

Here's some sideline information for you.

I've known about Sole Footbeds for about a year. They are not new to runners. Sole has developed a shoe liner that is heat moldable which allows you to customize your shoe insert without spending a huge amount of cash.

I picked up a pair of their "Slim Sport" inserts last week. I can tell you that they are significantly more comfortable than the paper thin inserts that typically come in your cycling shoes. I was able to make some minor modifications in length and thay popped right in. I haven't had the chance to heat mold them just yet.

I've never been a huge supporter of orthotics or inserts for cycling shoes. I held this belief because the rear foot isn't used as a contact surface. All force is delivered via the fore foot.
Most orthotics and inserts are designed primarily to support the rear foot.

However, with new knowledge comes new understanding. Yes, I'm willing to change when the evidence supports it.

Despite the fact that pedaling forces are delivered via the fore foot, the rear foot must maintain stability. Otherwise, you will loose power as the foot collapses under the pedaling force. Or, maybe your foot doesn't collapse because you are strong enough to support it using muscular support. This causes you to utilize muscular effort that could otherwise be used to pedal the bike. Loss of power is BAD! I don't care how you spell it.

If you have an excessively flat foot, you probably need professional help. Seek out someone who makes orthotics for sport application. Otherwise, Sole may be your solution.

I'll follow up with vendor information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home