12.12.2007

iBike Wireless

I rec'd my test iBike wireless kit yesterday. It includes two wireless transmitters(one for cadence and one for speed), heart rate strap and mounting hardware. The setup was particular but it wasn't complex. You have to follow the directions in precise order.

The wireless mount is contained within the stem mount for the head unit. This sets up for a very clean look. By mounting the iBike directly over the stem, it makes the most of the VRK device that I detailed in a previous post.

Total set up time is less than 30 minutes if you follow the directions. If you try to do it with out completely reading the directions first, it will take longer. I know this from experience.

In one of the last posts, I reported that I had installed the VRK. At that time, my iBike was still mounted on an extension forward of the handlebar. With this configuration, the VRK was still unable to dampen the vibration created by riding on Ben Hamilton Rd. However, on the other 95% of road surfaces, it was very reliable.

Now that the iBike is installed to take maximum advantage of the vibration dampening capability of the VRK, I can't wait to ride Ben Hamilton again.

On a positive note, the iBike software(loaded on your computer) has some "black box" post ride analysis capability. The software is able to mathematically correct for data errors created by excess vibration. I don't know how it does this but, it seems to work pretty well. I'm not a big fan of post ride data correction. But, at this price point, it's something that I'm willing to deal with. The new wireless mount has heart rate monitoring capability. If I get on a road surface that is causing data problems, I can monitor HR until the road surface changes.

I've had the opportunity to talk to John Hamann on several occasions. I'm continually amazed at his fortitude as he continues to cross hurdle after hurdle with the goal of creating a remarkably affordable power monitoring device. This is a nasty market to work in. Cyclists want things that are light, durable, accurate and reliable. They want them to work in all weather conditions and they want them a cheap as possible.

I'll let you know how the next Ben Hamilton ride works out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home