4.23.2007

Better Technique, Better Climbing

I've officially finished 3 weeks of training. Things seem to be coming along fairly well. This week will be a bit of a rest before I make the next push in intensity.

I've made an interesting observation over the last 3 weeks. I'm climbing better than I anticipated for this period in my training. Once again, it goes back to technique.

Historically, I've had to stand to climb well. This year, I've noticed that I'm climbing longer while seated. Up until last year, I had to stand because I couldn't produce a lot of force while seated. This year, I'm able to apply balanced force around the pedal stroke and maintain cadence and power.

I can analyze this from several perspectives:
1) Better technique troughout the ride saves muscles for intense periods like climbs and therefore, I have better technique on the climb.
2) Better climbing in seated position is a result of improved balance of forces and improved delivery of effective pedaling force therefore there is less fatigue and better performance.
3) I'm still about 10lbs. heavier than I would like to be and therefore standing takes too much energy.

Here's what I can tell you. I feel like I'm able to apply even force all the way around the pedal stroke while climbing. I don't have to mash on the down stroke to keep the pedals moving. I don't have a lot of excess movement that wastes energy. I can pace myself better. I feel like I have more power to bridge gaps after the climb is over.

Ultimately, technique is the key. Regardless of your fitness level, you can make more of the watts you produce by applying them correctly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home