3.05.2007

It's time for a little soapbox

Here's the topic of the week.

Coaching.

This coaching thing continues to be a blast. I am so grateful for those of you who have trusted me to help you along your journey. The pleasure is all mine and there aren't many things that I enjoy more than seeing someone perform better because of some information or technique that I imparted. Teaching has long been my greatest satisfaction.

Here's the soapbox: (I don't even know if you call it a soapbox. It's just an opinion and an opportunity to have a rather one sided discussion.)
How many sports or recreational activities thrive from remote coaching? If I were going to take up golf, swimming, running or anything else for that matter, I would probably consider a few sessions with a coach who specializes in that event. Especially, swimming. It's a huge skill sport. Consider golf. Who would want to be coached online by some guy in Oregon and trade lessons by email. In my estimation, the higher the degree of skill, the greater the need for direct coaching.

Cycling is a skill sport. Especially with regard to motor patterns that produce appropriate force to the pedals. These are skills that can be developed once they are properly identified. That's what I have enjoyed the most when I work with my clients.

Unfortunately, cycling has been identified(by it's participants) as a sport of fitness only. Thus we have had the development of hundreds of online "coaches" that use software to produce workout program for riders. Don't get me wrong, the software does a very good job of helping with program design. I use it as a check and balance. However, online coaching cannot tap into the information that can be gained by direct interaction with the athlete. An online coach cannot assess how a cyclist performs an activity from a technical perspective. If two athletes may complete the same prescribed interval set, does that mean that they are equals? Absolutely not.

Before anyone goes postal: Let me acknowledge that the vast majority of online coaches are excellent in their art. It's my opinion that online coaches misuse of their time and talent and it under serves that client.

Now, let's address self coaching. I'm all for it. It is prevalent in all sports and it should be in cycling too. Every rider should be reading about their sport so that they can enhance their personal knowledge. So, I don't have the beef with self coaching.

What's the point?
I am so glad that I started learning about coaching from someone that had already distilled cycling coaching to the finer things before I came along. He had already been down the road and determined what he thought was the most premiere method of applying his talent. Direct one on one experiences where he can share information without distraction. He decided that seeing a rider in person was the only way to gain the most information about their riding styles/habits. I'm glad that I've chosen the same path.

I think online coaches miss out on those critical times when athletes "get it". It's the difference between seeing your child walk for the first time and hearing about it on the phone or email. In this case, the parent misses out significantly more that the child.

Overall, I want to get the most out of being a coach that I can get. That means that I want to be there in person. The relationship is just as important to me as it is to you.

Once again, thanks to all of those individuals who I have worked with over the past couple years. It's a blast for me to work with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home