4.18.2007

We've forgotten our roots

Some will read this and scoff, others will laugh at my lack of experience. Regardless, it's been a new revelation to me. Hopefully, a few will read and consider.

I've only been riding for 10 years. During this time, it's been a persuit of speed. The focus of this effort has been in the area of "lighter this" or "aero that". I also have to admit that I have become a rider in the technology era. Many of the old ways have been disposed of because they are not cutting edge. Some things needed to go but others work just fine.

Specifically, I'm talking about wheelsets today. I have zipps, velomax and topolino. Each has promised speed. Many high tech wheel manufacturers claim that their wheels are just as durable as anything thing that is on the market. However, the marketing campaignes have not talked about the ongoing cost of ownership. These types of wheels and other high end wheels are very expensive to maintain. Currently, I have a cracked 404 rim($$$) , velomax damaged rim ($$$) and topolino that needs new bearings ($$$?).

Don't get me wrong. I really like each of these wheelsets. Each is fast in it's own right. I'll have them repaired and I will ride them again.

In a search for durability I had to go old school. 32 straight guage spokes, triple cross, Mavic box rims with eyelets and ultegra hubs. Are the "heavy" compared to a set of 1400 g topolinos? Yes. But, for the price, I could probably purchase 3 or 4 sets for the cost of one set of high end wheels. Better yet, I can have them repaired easily vs replacement or rebuild. They grin at rough pavement and patch and keep on going. Other wheels crack and limp home. Riding these wheels gives you confidence that you can ride through most any situation without breaking something. Confidence breeds safety for yourself and others.

(One note of consideration: I haven't ridden Kysriums. I've heard that they are durable and easily maintained. But, look at the price.)

Here's the best thing about these wheels. They are the most comfortable wheelset I've ridden in 10 years. If you are looking for a great set of wheels, go old school for just a small amount of cash and get a great ride. You are going to have to shed some ego. Box rims don't look sexy like a set of deep dish carbon rims. Don't loose your focus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home