7.15.2006

Hacked

This morning was going to be the best test for the ibike since I rec'd it two weeks ago. I was hopeful that the aerodynamic drag calculation was working correctly and things were ready to go for a real test.

Through out the ride, the wattage readings appeared to be in the appropriate range for the heart rates that I was experiencing.

I got home just before 0900 and cooled off for about an hour. Even though the thermometer on the ibike said it was only 84 deg., it felt much hotter with the heavy humidity. I hooked up the ibike to the computer and did a search for stored rides. It showed one ride with "0" miles. That wasn't a good sign. I tried to download the ride and the ibike locked up and gave me an error message. That's why I call this post "Hacked".

I contacted John at Velocomp to get info. Previously, I had loaded a new firmware package on recommendation of Velocomp. He recommended that I clear the memory, reset the device and do a test ride.

Well, it looks like the test ride data stored correctly. However, I don't have any information from today's ride other than a 20.7 mph average.

One day, I hope to be able to send gleaming reviews of the ibike. So far, it's like living on the bleeding edge of technology.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good News, I'm coming out with a power meter for only $250! The uBike should be shipping August 15th! To keep our costs low we don't have an actual office, web site, phone number, engineers, description of the meter, etc., but we do have really cool custom car tag.

We're SO confident that if the uBike doesn't work equal to or better than the more expensive iBike that we'll refund twice the purchase price minus the purchase price times two!!! (S&H not refundable)

Be sure to catch a glimpse of our actual mocked up prototypes outside Interbike this year!

--
uBike (I'll drive)

11:04 AM  
Blogger David Field, Gulf Coast Cycle Fit said...

That comment is so good that I'm going to publish it as a blog entry

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home