12.05.2008

Economic times drive increase in bike fits!...or it should

Part of this is tongue and cheek and part is true. Don't turn on the television, you may find that the world is coming completely unraveled. Bypass the TV and go straight to your bike and go out for a ride. The sun is still shining and a bad day cycling is still better than a good day sitting on the couch.

I've talked to several friend of mine who are in construction. At some point or another, the conversation always turns to business. Lately, it's been rather somber with most. Yet, there's one guy who is still busy. See, he's not in new construction, he into remodeling. I was unaware that remodeling dollars are spent when housing values are going down. Instead of upgrading by selling and moving, homeowners upgrade from the inside out. This extends the value of their investment.

Hence the title of the blog. Economic times should drive an increase in bike fits and training. In the vast majority of situations, I operate to extend and enhance the value of your investment. It's time to make those adjustments so that you are more comfortable, more stable and you can produce more power.

You see, there's a myth that purchasing something new can solve the problems you experienced in the past. The myth is false in good times and bad. Faster wheels... better group and aerodynamic this, that or the other. Yet, if you had cycling problems before, they are likely to continue unless something changes(with you). Now, don't get me wrong. I love purchasing new stuff. However, I don't purchase "stuff" as the first method to solve problems that have their origin in me. I buy new stuff because I think its fun and until old stuff becomes "vintage", its just old.

I'll give you a couple great examples poor reasons to purchase new stuff. "I need a new frame with a stiffer bottom bracket". I love this one because it makes great marketing. Every bottom bracket produced today is stiffer than the bottom bracket used by Eddy Merckx when he set the world hour record in Mexico City. Do I like to have a stiff bottom bracket? Yes, I like the fact that it does a better job of transferring my pedaling errors into chain tension on the wheel instead of frame flex. Here's the answer. Learn to pedal like Eddy and you will be fast on any bike.

Here's my second favorite. "I need to be more aero". Somehow, we have been fed a line of bull$#!) that we need to cheat the wind. I want to change that philosophy to "We need to conquer the wind and beat it into submission". Unless, you are able to ride at speeds high enough where wind resistance is an issue, the mechanical losses in efficiency by being in the aero position out weigh the aerodynamic advantage. The advantages of aero wheels, frame or helmets are just not there if you are riding at sustained speeds around 20mph or lower. Remember this, most of the research done on aero equipment is performed at 30mph. There is a vast exponential difference in the effect of wind resistance between 20 and 30 mph. Do I like aero wheels? Absolutely. They are very cool. Here's the answer. Learn how to pedal and train to develop sustainable power so that you can ride faster and truly benefit from the aero stuff. Don't cheat the wind. Beat the wind!

Get fit, learn how to pedal, train correctly. Then go out and purchase something because its fun and cool. Always remember, you purchase Band-Aids at the drug store, not your local bike shop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home