11.13.2008

Phoenix

You may be thinking of the city in AZ. However, I'm thinking of the bird that dies in it's own flames and then resurrects later.

I worked with a client last night who I will refer to as Phoenix. He is a old work that is going to become new again.

Here's my take on motor patterns. Your saying, "Whoa, your loosing me". Just stay with me.

Motor patterns are developed within the brain. Groups of nerves work together to create movement patterns after thousands of repetitions. The pattern becomes "hardwired" in the brain. Last night, I saw evidence that motor patterns that are archived and not used for years can be unarchived, cleaned up and re-used almost immediately.

On the other hand, clients that have never established an effective motor plan have nothing to draw on except the cognitive capacity of the brain(underestimation is not intended).

After completing the biomechanical setup, I asked Phoenix to perform a specific motor task while watching the spin scan. I didn't coach him or offer any other assistive techniques. What I saw was rather amazing. He was able to perform the exact request without any additional effort. He switched from one motor plan that he had been using recently to the archived motor plan within one second. His question, "Is this what you want me to do?". Answer: Yes.

Well done Phoenix, Well done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home