11.03.2008

Establishing value in a service market

I've long struggled over the concepts of service based businesses vs those that sell a product. Since my career began, I've been service oriented. While I'm wired this way, it often becomes difficult because I'm only one person with 24 hours. When faced with decisions about how to grow a business, expanding production becomes more limited due to a finite amount of time. (more on multiplying efforts later).

To combat this, I focus one enhancing the value of the services that I provide. This begs a huge question. How do you establish value of a service business? I guess each person in the service sector has to answer this question for themselves but here's my answer.

The value of my service is determined by the amount of knowledge that can be usefully understood and implemented by my client. The outcome should be revealed in a positive change in their ability to pedal and control the bike. Ultimately, this will result in faster speeds and enhanced satisfaction as a cyclist.

Being a physical therapist, it's always been my goal that I create independence on the part of the client. Being a cycling coach is no different. I expect that my clients take the information that I share with them and implement it. Once those skills are mastered, it's time for new challenges.

Mastery has to occur before you can move to the next step. Knowledge is the key.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home