11.10.2005

Connected Technique

Too Cool! Maybe this is the reason that cycling has such appeal. There is always some aspect of cycling where we can improve and become more proficient. Next year, I'll be 40. I don't have many years to focus on brute strength. Maybe I'm over the hump already and I'm in denial. Who knows.

Here are the things that keep me coming back. Every year, I get better, provided I apply myself. I don't know many cyclists that become bored with the sport. However there are many that become frustrated. Cycling proficiency must be recognized as a long term venture. If you see it that way, you will reap the reward without giving up.

Yesterday, I received one of those rewards. I rode out early to meet some other riders. It turned out to be one of those mornings where I ended up riding alone. It was foggy and I meandered 30-35 miles around the city and back out to the house. I could have passed a peleton with 100 riders and not known it.

Something finally clicked in my pedalling technique. I was applying power to the pedals without straining my brain. You know how it is when you are learning something new. You focus on it, hold your breath, contract other muscles that are unnecessary and ultimately you fail until...you get it!. Then you are able to succeed and incorporate the new skill into your everyday "toolbox". It was a great sensation as I mentioned before. It's about being connected.

Well, here's the hard evidence that my efforts are paying off. Typically, I can cruise at approx 20-21mph when I pretty fit in the Spring and Early Summer. (I define cruising as a pace that is too fast to chit chat. But, not so fast that I'm huffing and puffing. I know it's a hokey definition but work with me.) Yesterday, I looked down to find that I was riding 22mph with the same percieved exersion. Earlier in the week we rode at this same pace but it took more effort. I was skeptical. I thought, maybe I'm going down grade or, down wind. Nope. I rode all over town yesterday. All directions. Each time I was on a flat section of road, I was doing 22. That's a about a 5% increase in speed without increased effort. I invested the time in the technique and received the reward of increased speed. I'll take it! What's next, who knows. This may be a stretch but I'm setting my sights on next season. Things are looking good if I can stay on target.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home